Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The first to get the scoop

Starbucks announced a campaign yesterday in which Facebook users can give their friends a free pint of one of Starbucks’ new coffee ice creams.

By logging on, you can send one friend a coupon to be redeemed for one free pint. But there is one catch: You must be one of the first 800 to click at the top of each hour.

Limiting and pacing the free-for-all may save Starbucks’ long-running campaign (through July 19) from the plight suffered by KFC when its grilled chicken giveaway was too successful: Demand exceeded supply, angry people bearing coupons stormed the stores, and the campaign was yanked amid clucking about poor planning.

I have yet to scoop the competition in the Starbucks hourly giveaway, however. Apparently my mind only wanders mid-hour.

And I will choose carefully with whom I share a pint. If I send you one, please keep in mind that I’d really like one back. The Caramel Macciato looks tempting…

--Julianne W.

No comments:

Post a Comment