Monday, August 3, 2009

Would you like verification with those fries?



I thought I spied a clever-sneaky new form of advertising on Facebook yesterday. I was wrong, but the possibility is something to “keep in mind.”


To upload a link to a Facebook account I manage, I had to type in a pair of words for verification. The pair? Coca-Cola. It made me wonder … was Coke paying to have its brand circulate among the random verification words? Were others?


(It also made me want a Coke. I found a Diet Pepsi instead. I did fail the taste test years ago.)
I couldn’t find anything on Google about such an advertising plan. So I went straight to the source and asked Facebook, which has proved quite a helpful entity every time I’ve had a question. Their answer:


“Thanks for your inquiry. We do not sell verification words as advertising. However, we will keep your suggestion in mind as we continue to improve advertising on the site. Let me know if you have any further questions.”


Nice people over there at Facebook. The bigger point, however, is the potential for brand integration into every process. Are you looking for a way to put your brand in front of more people? Find out where those people already are and craft alliances.


If you’re a member of your target audience, it’s an easy thing to look at your habits and surroundings with an eye for brand appearances. If you’re not, spend some time with someone who is. Learn where they already go, then be there.

I like Facebook. I use it all the time. I like soda. I drink it all the time, often in front of the computer while I’m using Facebook. It would be a natural pair. (Whether Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.) I’d like to keep Facebook free by typing “Coke” or “Pepsi” or “Aveda” while I’m verifying my account, vs. “muddle red” or whatever the program comes up with. Thanks for your time in replying, Facebook. I’ll be curious to see what pops up next.


--Julianne W.



No comments:

Post a Comment