Friday, August 7, 2009

Does Bing have the zing?

By now you’re probably familiar with Bing, the newest search engine on the block. It’s the offspring of the recent Microsoft and Yahoo! merger. These two gurus are coming together to try to compete with search engine giant Google.

Competition is good for any industry, but will they make a dent in Google’s 65 percent share of market searches? According to BusinessWeek, Yahoo! held a 20 percent share of market searches. Maybe by putting Microsoft’s fiscal muscle behind the Bing endeavor, it can gain some traction against Google?

As an avid Googler, I would need to find something very unique and compelling about Bing to make me switch. I use a PC at the office, and a couple of weeks ago Microsoft reset my search setting to Bing. Trust me, I didn’t do it. Now when searching, I find myself avoiding the convenience of a search engine in the tool bar. Instead, I will go to Google, then search from there. It’s familiar, has a clean look, and is easy. And frankly, I simply prefer Google as my search engine.

It will be interesting to see how Bing fares this next year. Will the Microsoft/Yahoo! team identify a better search algorithm? Time will tell.

Have you used Bing? What do you think of it?


--Kara W.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the commercials for Bing and as a generally indecisive person the whole "decision engine" thing kind of caught my attention but I side with you on this one Kara... I loves the Google. it is tried and true and generally speaking it gets me where I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Kara. Google is my answer to anything, everything, all the time. When I hit Bing by accident, its lackluster results send me back up to the right toolbar.

    ReplyDelete