Friday, May 15, 2009

Metamorphosis into a blogger

The speed of my metamorphosis into a blogger is a bit more rapid that I imagined, thanks to input and support from my wife and my Asher colleagues. My measure of progress: My screen remained blank for but a few minutes.

Through this learning process I wondered how social media could reach certain target audiences; say, those with members who don’t read blogs, don’t have Facebook pages and don’t Twitter—what I’ll call an older audience.

One way is to first engage the younger generation with your message via social media. In turn, they can influence their parents and grandparents through conversation. It’s intergenerational communication.

This insight came from an article in the April 2009 issue of PR Tactics from the PRSA. Dan Solomon’s piece,
A clear and healthy choice: Building your patient community online, demonstrated the tactics health communicators can use to engage an older audience.

“If you are trying to provide a product or service to a more mature audience, you may need to focus some of your efforts on their younger relatives,” Solomon says.

As with any tool or tactic, I don’t’ think social media alone can serve the purpose. But none of the traditional tools does as well alone as when bundled with companion elements. What ways do your think your children or grandchildren have the ability to influence you and your decisions?


--Mike B.

No comments:

Post a Comment