Thursday, May 14, 2009

Music Makes Everything Better



Notice how music in advertising can make or break an ad? Granted, this is all a matter of preference, but if your target audience likes it, the spot is golden.

Heineken has certainly caught my attention lately (and it has nothing to do with that welcomed spring weather that so nicely complements a cold beverage). The latest ad features a group of friends riding home in a car and singing along to the radio, when suddenly an older driver cranks up the tunes and joins in the sing-a-long. The premise: He’s a cabbie. The message: Let a stranger drive you home tonight. The song that stops me in my tracks and has me watching this commercial every time: Biz Markie’s Just a Friend.

On the contrary, I cannot sit through the 30-second Hallmark commercial featuring John Mayer’s Say. It just wears on my last nerve. Once again, music taste is relative, and I’d bet this wins over the 45-and-older female demographic. Very appropriate, since that’s likely their target audience.

Ultimately, the goal is to make ads memorable, and music is a great way to capture attention.

Are there any ads that have won you over with their melodies?


--Kara W.

1 comment:

  1. You can't help but wanna join in!

    While I don't like the song as a whole, the riff from Tim Myers' "Brand New Day" in Target ads makes me feel inspired to exercise and clean things ... with products from a fresh and clean Target store.

    ReplyDelete